Monday, May 20, 2013

Diary Free Soy Free Blueberry Orange Muffins

It’s so much work to fine carbs that are diary and soy free and I find myself craving them all the time.  I open our cupboards and see loafs of store bought bread that my husband uses for sandwiches every day and I find myself longing for that bready deliciousness. 

I bought tons of produce during our last grocery trip and I realized that I hadn’t finished the blueberries and they were starting to get mushy.  I’m a fan of tart firm blueberries and once they are soft and sweeter I’m done.  To avoid wasting them I whipped up some blueberry muffins and they were delicious.  It actually might be more accurate to say blueberry cupcakes, because they were sweet, soft, and delicious, but muffins sound better for you so I’m going to call them muffins.


    •    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    •    3/4 cup sugar
    •    1/2 teaspoon salt
    •    1 tablespoon baking powder
    •    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    •    1/3 cup canola oil
    •    1 large egg
    •    ¼ cup coconut or rice milk
    •    ¼ cup orange juice concentrate
    •    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    •    1 cup fresh blueberries
    •    Pinch of nutmeg

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg to a large bowl and mix together.
  3. In another bowl add canola oil, egg, coconut/rice milk, orange juice concentrate, and vanilla and mix together.  When well combined add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir together. 
  4. The batter should be thick, but still drizzle off a spoon.  If it’s too think add another tablespoon of milk if it’s too thin add another tablespoon of flour.
  5. When all the ingredients are mixed together add the blueberries and gently fold them into the batter without crushing the berries.
  6. Spoon the batter into a grease or lined muffin tin.  I think the top of muffins is the best part so I fill my cups to the brim rather than ½ or ¾ full.  By filling them to the brim I was able to make 9 muffins.
  7. Cook them for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment