Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dairy Free Soy Free Coconut Curry

Dairy Free Soy Free Coconut Curry Soup
Growing up my mom had a tendency to cook somewhat bland food, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic we’re about the extent of the spices she used to flavor foods.  My mother-in-law is a lot more adventurous with flavors and I didn’t realize what I was missing until I was married.  Don’t get me wrong I still love my mama’s cooking and I often follow in her footsteps with more plain flavors but I’ve also learned to venture out and we’ve had some amazing foods because of it.  My point is that growing up curry was never ever on the menu.  I don’t think I even knew what curry was until my mid twenties and I’m a hesitant curry eater.  I get overwhelmed with the spiciness of it and I didn’t like it much until someone introduced me to coconut curry.  I happen to love this much milder version of curry and thanks to this diet restrictions I made curry for the first time.  I loved it and this will definitely be on future menus even when my diet is back to normal.  So if you are a hesitant curry eater or like more mild flavors I would suggest giving this a try.

Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Café – Coconut Curry Soup

Ingredients


  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
  • 1 red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 3 red potatoes cut into 1-inch squares
  • 2 cups chopped carrots
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 can (14-ounces) unsweetened light coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 3-4 cups hot, cooked rice for serving

Directions


  1. Cube potatoes and put them in a small pot with boiling water to soften, about 8 minutes.  Or put them in a microwave safe dish with water and cover with plastic wrap, heat in the microwave for 5 minutes.  Drain excess water and put aside.
  2. Chop carrots into 1 inch pieces or use baby carrots.  Put the carrots in a small pot with boiling water and heat to soften, about 8 minutes. Or put them in a microwave safe dish with water and cover with plastic wrap, heat in the microwave for 3 minutes.  Drain excess water and put aside.
  3. Heat the oil in the large pot using medium heat. (Note: If you are starting with frozen chicken, thaw if for a 3 minutes in the microwave then take it out and cut it.   I find it much easier to cut into cubes if it’s only half thawed.  Once it’s cubed but it back in the microwave to finish thawing.) Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the hot oil. Let the chicken cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onions and red/green pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onions and peppers soften. The chicken and vegetables will continue to cook in the next step.
  4. Add the carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, coconut milk, brown sugar and curry powder. Stir together. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Serve a ladle or two of the soup over a scoop of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment